Re: Ideas?

One contest that we run with our high school students is the toothpick
tower.

Each team (or contestant) is given 25 toothpicks and 15
miniature marshmallows (no other materials allowed). The object of the
contest is to build a 1 toothpick tall (vertical) structure that will
support the greatest weight. The structure is tested by placing a
plastic graduated cylinder on top and slowly filling the graduated
cylinder with water until collapse (defined as the cylinder falling
over). We typically use a 100 mL cylinder and switch to a larger
cylinder if necessary. One structure held 1.8 L of water. Typically
the numbers are much less.

Attribution: This idea was stolen fair and square from the
Engineering Department of Virginia Tech.

THO

Thomas O'Neill
o'neill@csvrgs.k12.va.us
Physics
oneill@csvrgs.k12.va.us
C Shenandoah Valley R Governor's School 540.245.5088