From: "Ludwik Kowalski" <KowalskiL@MAIL.MONTCLAIR.EDU>
To: <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, February 06, 2001 8:28 PM
Subject: Re: Charged disk; was electrostatic ...

It would be more appropriate to say "one i,j object with another
i,j object" instead of "objects i and j". Sorry for this; I am sure
it was clear I was referring to any pair of objects in the i,j matrix.
Ludwik Kowalski

Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

Bob Sciamanda wrote:

For the general case of N conductors, the charge on the ith one is
given
conductor is given by:

Qi = SUM{Ci,j * Vj}, where the SUM is over the index j.

In this matrix equation Vj is the potential of the jth conductor and
the
Cij (functions of geometry) are called the coefficients of capacitance
.
These are probably what John is thinking of.

I am also assuming that his definitions are consistent with
the above. But is not true that Cij = 0 when objects i and
j are not linked directly with field lines? And I had other
related questions as well. I have to think about the
"positive ions layer" suggestion, Bob.
Ludwik Kowalski