Re: Charged disk; was electrostatic ...

Bob Sciamanda wrote:

For the general case of N conductors, the charge on the ith one is given
conductor is given by:

Qi = SUM{Ci,j * Vj}, where the SUM is over the index j.

In this matrix equation Vj is the potential of the jth conductor and the
Cij (functions of geometry) are called the coefficients of capacitance .
These are probably what John is thinking of.

I am also assuming that his definitions are consistent with
the above. But is not true that Cij = 0 when objects i and
j are not linked directly with field lines? And I had other
related questions as well. I have to think about the
"positive ions layer" suggestion, Bob.
Ludwik Kowalski