Re: electrostatic shielding

I second Leigh's appeal for somebody (who has access to
a good program) to perform numerical calculations on the
distribution of Q over a disk of finite size. I am predicting
that the percentage of Q, at r>0.9*R, for example, will be
growing when the disk becomes thinner.

For a thinner disk more of the total Q will be near the
edge I am assuming that the edge is a circle (radius=
0.5*thickness).

Leigh responded:

I think that is not the case if the disc is thin (thickness
t of disc is much less than the radius R).

My interpretation of "that is not the case" was that he does
not expect charges to migrate toward the edges when the
disk becomes thinner and thinner. In my opinion, there is
a conflict between out intuitive expectations. That is why
a numerical solution of this 3D problem, calculating S(r),
would be very helpful. I agree with Leigh that the corona
discharging should be neglected; it does not happen,
unless Q is very large, etc.
Ludwik Kowalski