Re: Electrostatic shielding

Regarding Joel's question:
Bill wrote in part:

Perhaps I live in an abnormal conceptual world. When I see a charged
object, I know that somewhere else there must be an OPPOSITLY charged
object, since the "flux lines" cannot just end abruptly. I imagine that
all electric charge everywhere was "created" by being pulled away from an
opposite charge.

Is this a proof that the universe was created with equal positive and
negative charge??

Bill's imagination is in itself not a proof of the global charge
neutrality of the universe. But *if* the spacelike sections of spacetime
are topologically compact (so that the universe is spatially closed) it
is a easily provable theorem that the universe must be charge-neutral
(for essentially the reason illustrated by Bill) because all electric
flux lines must stop & start on opposite charges and there is no
spatial infinity for any excess such lines to escape to.

David Bowman
David_Bowman@georgtowncollege.edu