Re: Electrostatic shielding [long!]

On Thu, 1 Feb 2001, Bob Sciamanda wrote:

You have shown that IF the imposed charge and the inner surface charge are
to effect the required E=0 without the help of the outer surface charge,
then there is a unique solution, etc. But this begs the very question:

The raw physics only requires that the E=0 condition (in conducting
material) be wrought by the superposition of the effects of ALL charges...
it needs to be proven that the combination of the imposed charge and the
inner surface charge must ALONE effect the required E=0 result (without
taking into account the effects of the outer surface charge) .

But again, "existence-uniqueness" to the rescue!

For a given total charge on the outer surface, there is one and
only one arrangement of charges that produces E = 0 everywhere
inside the outer surface. Also, for a given charge distribution
within the cavity, there is one and only one arrangement of
charges on the inner surface that produces E = 0 everywhere
outside the inner surface. The superposition of these two
solutions satisfies all boundary conditions and is, therefore, THE
solution. (BTW, I should have appealed to the linearity of
Laplace's equation to support the superposition principle.)

If I move the charges inside the cavity (without altering the net
charge) I will have to rearrange the charges on the inner surface
(without altering their net charge either), but since that *new*
distribution on the inner surface and the *same old* distribution
on the outer surface satisfies all boundary conditions it is,
therefore, THE solution. In other words, the existence-uniqueness
theorem tells us that, since nothing NEEDS to change on the outer
surface, nothing CAN change.