Re: heat is not a noun

At the risk of being repetitious (doesn't bother Jim), many of us teach the
thousands of students who will never progress beyond a Hewitt or Kirkpatrick
level course. Those students already have 'heat', 'work', and 'energy' in
their noun-vocabulary. It will do little good to approach such students
with graduate level models. The commonly taught intro descriptions _are_
accessible to these students and provide them with 'workable' models of
nature that are closer to modern understandings than their intuitions. If
someone wants to write an introductory text, designed for a terminal course
in Physics, that remains true to the most sophisticated current
understandings of the subject, please do. Then we'll see whether that
approach attracts or repels students.

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Associate Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, IN 46556
rtarara@saintmarys.edu

FREE PHYSICS INSTRUCTIONAL SOFTWARE
www.saintmarys.edu/~rtarara/
PC and MAC software
NEW! OPTICS-2 package for the Animated Chalkboard
CD-ROMs now available