Re: heat is not a noun

I agree with Larry. Furthermore, I'd add that "work"
should not be used as a noun, but rather as "workING"
- a macroscopic process by which the internal energy
of a system changes due to the action of an external
force. I think that focusing on system internal energy
and the processes by which it can be changed makes
teaching and understanding thermodynamic processes
VASTLY easier and clearer for students. John Barrere
--- Larry Woolf <larry.woolf@GAT.COM> wrote:
From "Some Irreverant Thoughts About Heat" in the
Atmospheric
Thermodynamics book by Bohren and Albrecht, pages
24-28.

"It is very easy to deal with the definition of
heat: It does not exist.
Why waste time and effort defining something that
does not exist? Heating,
however, is the name of a macroscopic process in
which the internal energy
of a system changes by virtue of a temperature
difference between it and
its surroundings. Why 'macroscopic'? Because we
invoked temperature, a
macroscopic quantity. There is no such thing as the
temperature of a
single molecule, only a collection of many
molecules."
"When you grasp that heating is a way of doing
something and abandon all
attempts to identify heat as an entity, especially a
vague, metaphysical,
even paranormal entity, you can think more clearly
about thermodynamic
problems. We know of no examples in which invoking
a mythical substance
called heat leads to increased physical
understanding."

And once again, this list will be drawn into the
HEAT of battle!

(Personally, I'm quite attached to these four
letter Anglo-Saxonisms)

At 7:42 PM -0700 1/30/01, Larry Smith, you wrote
about heat is not a noun:

Would it not warm Jim Green's heart to know that
Robert H. Romer, editor of
AJP has an editorial in the Feb 2001 issue
entitled "Heat is Not a Noun"?
It starts out: "Let's strike a blow for clear
thinking by ridding the
English language of the word heat as a noun....
Heat is not a substance."

<http://ojps.aip.org/journal_cgi/dbt?KEY=AJPIAS&Volume=CURVOL&Issue=C
URISS#MAJOR2>

Larry

-. .-. .-. .-. .-. .-.
.-. .-. .-. .-
\ / \ / \ N / \ C / \ S / \ S /
\ M / \ / \ /
`-' `-' `-' `-' `-' `-'
`-' `-' `-'
Chuck Britton
Education is what is left when
britton@ncssm.edu you
have forgotten everything
North Carolina School of Science & Math you
learned in school.
(919) 286-3366 x224
Albert Einstein, 1936

Dr. Lawrence D. Woolf; Phone: (858)-455-4475;
www.sci-ed-ga.org
General Atomics; 3550 General Atomics Court; San
Diego CA 92121-1194

a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/