From: John Denker [SMTP:jsd@MONMOUTH.COM]
Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2001 7:15 PM
To: PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu
Subject: Re: Electrostatic shielding

Even for the UNGROUNDED shield, observers outside cannot learn
anything
about where the charges are inside the shield. (Yes, they can
immediately
learn the total charge, but no, they cannot learn about the
distribution.) The creatures on the inside cannot transmit any
signals to
the outside by rearranging their charges, if they are restricted to
moving
things slowly enough that the screening charges on the inside of the
shield
have time to re-arrange themselves.

Usual disclaimer: None of the shielding ideas apply at high
frequencies; at some point you have X-rays that can go through
quite a bit
of shielding.