Re: heat is not a noun

A noun does not necessarily act as a symbol for a substance; it also is a symbol for a concept.  Am I wrong in thinking that heat is a concept?

Phlogiston died in 1804, must we continue to beat it?

bc

P.s. My ancient dict. includes:  quality, idea, and action, as nouns.

Larry Smith wrote:

Would it not warm Jim Green's heart to know that Robert H. Romer, editor of
AJP has an editorial in the Feb 2001 issue entitled "Heat is Not a Noun"?
It starts out: "Let's strike a blow for clear thinking by ridding the
English language of the word heat as a noun.... Heat is not a substance."

<http://ojps.aip.org/journal_cgi/dbt?KEY=AJPIAS&Volume=CURVOL&Issue=CURISS#MAJOR2>

Larry