Re: joules versus newton.meters

1) Left to my own devices, I write torques as netwon.meters; on emotional
grounds I prefer newton.meters to joules.

I prefer foot-pounds or inch-pounds for my devices; I don't own a
torque wrench now, but my old one wasn't SI. On emotional grounds
I have little feeling for newton meters.

2) However, emotions are not physics. The physics says that if I let a
torque of 5 newton.meters act through an angle of 3 radians, I do 15 joules
of work. Therefore a newton.meter is, in a very physical sense, one joule
per radian. Shortening this to one joule is perfectly acceptable.

Yup, perfectly acceptable if you are willing to toss out clarity
with that hypothetically dimensionless unit. I claim that it has
substance; one joule per radian means torque in my view, and one
joule does not.

Leigh