Re: Speed of Waves

Let me say it a little better. Average (rms) speeds of molecules
can be theoretically calculated at room temperature (for example).
Suppose we plot them along the x axis, for several gases (from
as light as H2 to as heavy as UF4) while the corresponding
speeds of sound (experimental, from a table) are plotted along
the y axis. A strong correlation does not prove anything but it
can be very indicative. Absence of correlation can be even more
significant, I think. I have no idea if the bulk modulus of a gas
is correlated with the rms speed of its molecules.

Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

I do not know how to answer this question, Leigh. But here
is what I would do if had data on speeds of sound in different
gasses. Since the speed of molecules is inversely proportional
to 1/sqr(M), where M is the molecular mass, I would plot
known speeds of sound, at a given T, versus 1/sqr(M).
Ludic

Leigh Palmer wrote:

One question I've asked before has never been answered well enough so
that I internalized the answer. I'll try it again:

The speed of sound in a gas is the same as the speed of the molecules
in the gas, more or less. Why should this be? The propagation of sound
is not a phenomenon which depends upon the microscopic structure of
the medium. Is this just a fluke, or is there a deeper connection?