Gravimeter experiment

Title: Gravimeter experiment
I see now that I did not post the reference I alluded to in my
last post. Sorry for the confusion.

The paper that got me interested in doing an experiment was done
by a Chinese group in 1997 and published last year as a Rapid [!]
Communication in Phys Rev D:

"Precise measurement of gravity variations during a total solar
eclipse", by Wang et al., PHYSICAL REVIEW D, VOLUME 62, 041101(R)

  "The variations of gravity were measured with a high precision
  LaCoste-Romberg D gravimeter during a total solar eclipse to
  investigate the effect of a solar eclipse on the gravitational
  field. The observed anomaly (7.0 +/- 2.7)x!0^(-8) m/s^2 during
  the eclipse implies that there may be a shielding property of
  gravitation."

My son David pointed me to this unbelievable result, and I had
located a suitable Scitex instrument and considered doing an
observation this Christmas day, but Vancouver is poorly situated
to abserve the Sun's gravity at that time with a vertical component
measuring instrument (the Sun was on the horizon, more or less).
If there is someone in Christchurch, NZ, who is interested in
looking into this please get in touch with me. There is another
opportunity coming up very soon.

Leigh