Re: Questions in the Classroom

I taught at a university level and when I first started to
teach I found myself extremely hesitant to ask questions to
which I didn't know the answer. I was quite worried that I
would lose face in the class or be viewed as not knowing the
material. It took quite a while for me to learn that I was
also in a learning experience in the classroom with the
students.

I was wondering if teachers at the high school level also go
through this period of personal development.

--
Carl C. Gaither and Alma E. Cavazos-Gaither

I can I only speak for muself, but I sure did. When I first
started, I wanted to impress the students with my "vast"
knowledge and problem working abilities. I lecture most
of the week and work conutless example problems on the
board. Now, I know I have some parents complain that I
don't lecture enough; I am asking the student to seek
knowledge with my guidance. I think it is the way science
should be done. Work in small groups on problems and
labs. Trying to guide them into discovering some concept
rather than just telling them. It seems to work for me.

Tim O'Donnell
Instructor of Physics and Chemistry
Celina High School
715 East Wayne Street
Celina, Ohio 45822
(419) 586-8300 Ext 1200 or 1201
odonnt@celina.k12.oh.us

"Chance only favors the prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur