Questions in the Classroom

Hello to the Group--

I came across the following quotation by J. Lemke in "Talking Science:
Language, Learning and Values" on p. 55.

"True dialogue occurs when teachers ask questions to which they do not
presume to already know the correct answer."

I taught at a university level and when I first started to teach I found
myself extremely hesitant to ask questions to which I didn't know the
answer. I was quite worried that I would lose face in the class or be
viewed as not knowing the material. It took quite a while for me to
learn that I was also in a learning experience in the classroom with the
students.

I was wondering if teachers at the high school level also go through
this period of personal development.

--
Carl C. Gaither and Alma E. Cavazos-Gaither
http://www.angelfire.com/tx/StatBook/

Chemically Speaking: Quotations about Chemistry