From: John M. Clement [mailto:clement@HAL-PC.ORG]
Sent: Friday, January 26, 2001 7:22 AM
To: PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu
Subject: Re: N/kg versus m/s^2

Yes we all know that one may convert units and show the equivalence between
N/kg and m/s^2.  However, the central point is that using g=9.8m/s^2 is very
confusing to new physics students.  When they see F=mg and g is given as an
acceleration, it does not make sense to them.  A book on a table is not
accelerating, so using an acceleration to calculate the force is nonsensical
(from the student's point of view).  Telling them or trying to explain this
to them is useless, as the growing body of PER research has shown.  Going on
and appealing to fields is even worse.  No wonder most students just
memorize equations and consider physics to be incomprehensible!!!!!

I would not explain that gravitational mass and inertial mass are
equivalent, as that is a very subtle point which would confuse most of them
even more.

Now as to the objection to the word because.  Students see that g is
expressed as an acceleration, so they assume that the object is accelerating
when it is not, or that there is no/less/more gravitational force depending
on the motion.  Having taught it both ways, I can assure you that the
conventional treatment does not work well.  The overwheming majority do not
understand the conventional treatment of g.  The research shows that there
is a total disconnect between what most teachers try to tell their students,
and what the students actualy hear and percieve.

I used the words more rational, because it makes more sense from a
pedagogical point of view, and gives better results (student learning).  It
also is MUCH more rational to the students.  The more effective treatment
initially uses g as simply a parameter in an empirical force law F=mg.
Later on students can identify this with NTN's universal gravitational law.
This is not the only possible treatment, but it helps expose the connections
to the students in a manner that they can understand.  Students should be
able to get clues from the units, and they need help in making connections.
The other benefit of making g a proportional constant is that students can
discover g with a spring scale and balance.

Another part of the problem is because students do not generally think in
equations.  They tend to write F=10kg 9.8m/s^2 without first stating
F_gravitational=mg.  This looks like NTN's 2 law.  They pick up on this, and
then confusion reigns.

Formal arguments are totally lost on most beginning students.  Indeed the
range of thinking in many HS classes goes from middle concrete up to full
formal thinking.  A large number of HS seniors still do not understand
conservation of volume, which is supposed to click in at age 6.  As a result
there is a distinction between N/kg and m/s^2 in the minds of the students,
if they even notice the units.

Again, I would point out that the panel of physicists who reviewed HS texts
in TPT concluded that a more "useful" definition of g is derived from NTN's
gravitational law and should not be 9.8m/s^2 p299 (May 1999).  While this
review gave much good information, it made no attempt to evaluate texts on
their actual effectiveness.  They also did not mention any of the research
based curriculum material.  I suspect that none of the rated books actually
promote better understanding.

John M. Clement