Re: "all accelerations are 9.8m/s^2"

At 08:28 PM 1/25/01 -0600, John M. Clement wrote:
g is then stated as being 9.8N/kg at the surface of the earth, not 9.8m/s^2

And in reply I wrote:
> Innnnnteresting. That throws quite a dramatic light on the situation.
> it seems the students in question are missing the crucial
> distinction between
> a) there exists some acceleration equal to 9.8m/s^2
> b) each and every acceleration is equal to 9.8m/s^2
>
> Formally this is called First Order Logic.
> http://www.bestweb.net/~sowa/misc/mathw.htm#Predicate

Then at 06:43 AM 1/26/01 -0600, John M. Clement wrote:
Teaching logic may not work. There is evidence that shows that courses in
logic do not actually improve the ability of students to think.

Well, Hugh's anecdote suggests that taking the approach "g is not an
acceleration" leaves a certain fraction of the students unable to think
clearly about First Order Logic.

My data shows that math does not seem to raise
student thinking skills much, but physics "can" be effective.

I'm sorry, I find it highly implausible that speaking about N/kg in place
of m/s^2 will improve anyone's ability in First Order Logic. It is even
more implausible that avoiding a direct discussion of logic will be helpful.

If you really have data that addresses these points (not anecdotes, but
real data with double-blinding and other controls) please provide a more
specific reference.

Significantly raising average student thinking skills takes about 2 years
of work .... A mini course is very unlikely to be effective, but a
concerted year long effort may have some benefit.

Ah, that's a different statement. I'm not sure totally I agree, but let's
stipulate that as a hypothesis and discuss the consequences.

If a mini-course that takes the logical bull by the horns is "very
unlikely" to be effective, sidestepping the issue and introducing N/kg
versus m/s^2 seems very very very very unlikely to improve students'
abilities in First Order Logic.

So if we take an approach that is so ultra-unlikely to succeed, we should
not be surprised if
every year a certain fraction of ... students complete the course
thinking that "all accelerations are 9.8 m/s^2!

It doesn't matter whether this is classified as a logic problem or a
physics problem -- the point is that if students are leaving the
educational system with deficiencies of this magnitude, it's a problem for
everybody.