Re: On 1/4*Pi in Coulomb's law

John wrote in part:

f) There is no logical basis for giving Coulomb's law
priority over all the
other laws, and insisting that it be simplified no matter what.

In the typical intro text book there is plenty of logical basis for doing
this: it is the first topic covered in the study of electro-magnetic
phenomena. This may not be sufficient to warrant overturning SI, but it is
logical.

There are lots of real difficulties in the world.
Electromagnetism is not
a trivial subject. The 4 pi in question seems to be a 100%
real complexity
that is in danger of being mis-assigned to a bogus cause.

Agreed!

The fact that
the area of a unit sphere is not equal to unity is a
difficulty; you'll
just have to deal with it.

Interesting thought, just off the top of my head, that I haven't thought
through at all:

What if we defined length units in such a way that the Unit sphere
s area is *one*.

OF course we would no doubt having 4 pi factors appearing in unwanted places
in mechanics, but . . .

Joel