Re: X RAYS

Sci. Am.:

Concerning an Inexpensive and Safe Method for the Generation of
X-Rays
---------------------
by C. L. Stong
July, 1956

William Beaty wrote:

On Fri, 29 Dec 2000, Mark Sylvester wrote:

I notice that the discussion of dental X-rays has been in terms of using
film as the recording medium. My high-tech Italian dentist puts a little
boxlike solid-state imaging device in my mouth, and after an X-ray flash
immediately shows me the tooth on a crt monitor mounted above the tray with
all the nasty instruments. He plays with the contrast and brightness to
look at different parts of the tooth. He tells me that the exposure needed
to record the image with this technology is significantly lower than that
needed with film.

Cool! I wonder how expensive it is. The other half of the cost (the
x-ray source) is zero for folks with junkboxes. :) AND WITH PROPER
SAFETY KNOWLEDGE let's not forget.

Heh. It might be possible to make one of these by gluing a scintillator
directly to a cheap CCD camera chip.

billb@eskimo.com http://www.amasci.com
Seattle, WA 206-789-0775 freenrg-L taoshum-L vortex-L webhead-L