Re: Strange "Energy" Units

To understand Leigh's pickiness I need to know what definition of the word
"flux" he is using; and I mean technical definition. I have seen it mean
"amount per time" and have also seen its use technically to mean "amount per
time per area". Is there an official SI position or NTSB?? position on the
scientific use of the word? I rather imagine Leigh means the first implying
the careful use of the words "flux density" for the latter.

Joel is correct; flux is an ambiguous term. Flux density is not. In
astronomy flux means energy transferred per unit time per unit area
perpendicular to the direction of propagation. I don't like it, but
I can't change it. In SI magnetic flux is measured in webers. The
magnetic induction is the magnetic flux density, measured in teslas.

1 tesla = 1 weber per square meter perpendicular to the field

Leigh