Re: streaked windows and lights

At 06:29 PM 1/17/01 -0700, SSHS KPHOX wrote:
I made a mess of my windshield this morning when the fluid was frozen and
the wipers made a streaked smear before my very eyes. Oncoming cars and
taillights ahead created a wonderful pattern of elongated "rays" that ran
to the center of the arc. I tried to explain this phenomenon to myself but
was never satisfied with my answer. I was thinking some kind of
diffraction effect but can not put all together.

How about a plurality of cylindrical lenses?
Long skinny cylinders of ice laid down by notches in the wiper blades.

(I've seen windshields with scratches that produce the same effect.
Long skinny cylinders of missing glass.....)