AC electricity in CA

I was listening to NPR on the way home and the lead in to the power crisis
said that they were not enough electrons to go around....I think that is
what I heard but the story did not repeat the claim! Ah well.

Back to AC concept doing work, I make the analogy of a reciprocating saw
vs a band saw for AC vs DC in the ability of the current to do work.

When I was reading about the direction of voltages, I wanted to hear about
electric field vectors applying forces to cause the drift of electrons.
Which comes first the field or the voltage?

I fear I am getting myself into trouble tonight!

Ken Fox
AP/IB Physics Teacher
Smoky Hill High School
Aurora, CO