Re: Englifh fpelling

At 03:56 PM 1/17/01 -0800, Vern Lindberg wrote:
I noticed on a copy of the title page of P.M. that there were two
versions of the letter "s", one that looked like an integral sign,

That's called a "long s".

one that is like our current lower-case s. As far as I could tell,
the lower case veraion was used for an "s" appearing at the end of a
sentence,

Or simply at the end of a word. For fun, look at the word "pass" in the
fifth paragraph of
http://earlyamerica.com/earlyamerica/freedom/doi/doi.jpg

and the integral-sign form for s interior to a word. Was
this the rule at Newton's time?

Yes, and well into the 18th century.

And what would appear for an "s" at
the start of a word, either capitalized or not?

There was only one capital, resembling our modern S.

If not capitalized, and not at the end of the word, expect a "long s". For
lots of examples, see
http://www.people.virginia.edu/~msk5d/hariot/1590/hariot01.html
and following pages.