Re: prinkipia

I thought the college still spoke in Latin, to the extent of creating neologisms
for such words as xerographic copier.

bc

So ask the Pope?

"Dr. Mario Diaz" wrote:

My latin teachers in high school taught me that it was prinkipia.
They argued that in classic latin there was no soft c.
I remember having discussions with Iwo Bialynicki-Birula, the polish physicist
about pronunciation in latin.
He argued that being a dead language there was no way to know how was it
actually pronounced.
But I argued that by looking at the derivation into the ancient forms of some
languages, i.e. Spanish, you can get a
hint of the way it could've been pronounced. But the c for many words evolved
into the ch in italian, while in modern Spanish
it did into the soft c. So it may still be an arguable matter. But my latin
teachers were very knowledgeable...
mario
Mario Diaz

Mario Diaz