Re: Judging books by their covers

At 2:29 AM -0700 1/16/2001, William Beaty wrote:
On Mon, 15 Jan 2001, Larry Woolf wrote:

I have exerted a great deal of effort (
http://www.sci-ed-ga.org/standards/ ) to bring up these points to the
public as well as the state board of education in CA, including

Sounds like the situation has not changed much in CA since Feynman wrote
about his experience with this. A tiny fragment is at:

http://fy.chalmers.se/~f3aamp/teaching/wakalix.html

I too have included Feynman's experiences reviewing instructional materials on:
http://www.sci-ed-ga.org/standards/Feynman.html

Let AAPT executive body appoint
a panel, to cooperate with representatives of other appropriate
organizations, to review available middle-school texts.
There is need for a responsible reviewing body
Regards,
Jack

To some extent, this has been done. Middle school texts were reviewed for
correspondence to the AAAS Benchmarks for Science Literacy by AAAS Project
2061. Most fared poorly. Take a look at the following site for more
details.
http://www.project2061.org/newsinfo/research/textbook/index.htm

The NSF funded middle school programs, which require an external evaluator
and field testing, are just being released or are under development. These
programs are being developed by Lawrence Hall of Science, NSRC, and Fred
Goldberg's group at San Diego State.

As a hobby, I have decided to write instructional materials for middle and
high school. I have presented these to teachers at APS, ACS, San Diego,
California, AAPT and Art conferences.
Take a look at http://www.sci-ed-ga.org if you're interested.

Dr. Lawrence D. Woolf
General Atomics