Re: Capacitor Applications (not posted)

The inductor is in series with the cap. The inductor discharges "in to"
the cap; by the time it's charged the "points" are open. My belief is that
the arc resulting from opening the "points" w/o the cap. is of longer
duration than the charging of the cap. Too small a cap'ce will not prevent
arcing and too large will act as if the "points" never opened.

bc

Perhaps Mr. Sylvester will vary his capacitance, and, thereby, I hope,
"shed some light on the subject."

Leigh Palmer wrote:

Most definitely!

It's a series circuit. The ignition is not on the make, but the break.
bc

While the second sentence is true, I don't see the meaning of the first.
Since the condenser is across the points, what does this mean?

Leigh