Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 18:56:21 -0500
From: "Dwight K. Souder" <crvhs_dks@CRESTVIEW-RICHLAND.K12.OH.US>
Subject: Lift of spinning objects.

The other day, I was reading in some old science book about flight. I came
across an example I was a little confused with. The example was how a spinning
ball was able to generate "lift" by giving it a backspin, in which I have
observed while playing volleyball or basketball. They authors gave an
explanation that it was due to the relative velocity of the top of the ball in
respect to the bottom of the ball.
snip

Since the bottom of the ball is spinning into the wind, wouldn't it have a
higher relative velocity in comparison to the top of the ball? I'm just curious
how does a backspinning ball "float" while a forward spinning ball "dives".

Dwight
Ashland, OH

--
Scott Goelzer