Re: Induced dipole moments

The statement is correct, although less relevant than I had
thought at first blush. At any point inside or outside of the spherical
charge distribution, the field is identical to that of two point charges,
separated by a distance vector d. Outside of the distributed charge, for
simplicity, the potential is proportional to
(1/|r +d/2|) - (1/|r-d/2|)
where r is the vector from the midpoint between the point charge and the
center of the distributed charge. Expanding this expression in
multipoles, you find an infinity of multipoles present; the dipole
dominates for r>>d.
Contrast this with the induced potential by a constant E-field
on a uniformly conducting sphere which is a pure dipole.
Incidentally, before going to bed last night I convinced myself
that there is no static spherical charge distribution (for, say, the
negative charge) for which the asymptotic dipole field is proportioal
to the external constant E-field, which is the hallmark of polarizability.
So, again I return to the conducting sphere as the better classical model.
You might wish to attempt to verify my result.
Regards,
Jack