Re: "Dr." and all that

I proceeded almost directly from graduate school to a position as
an Assistant Professor at Simon Fraser University. In 1966 that was
quite normal; anyone with a fresh PhD from Berkeley received lots
of unsolicited offers in those days. There never was a period in my
life when I became accustomed to being addressed as "doctor" and it
still makes me uncomfortable when it happens in a social setting.
When I moved to Canada with my family I still wanted to keep some
of my native Californian informality with me. My two distinguishing
features turned out to be the fact that I didn't wear a tie, and I
preferred being called by my first name. Within a few weeks my
sartorial quirk was adopted by half my colleagues (who had never
before considered lecturing without a tie), but my denomination
remained unique. Here in Canada my name is not very common, and
most people called "Leigh" are female.

I have always asked students in the first handout of the semester
to call me "Leigh". Mostly this was because *I* was more
comfortable that way, but in part I think that greater age
constitutes a significant obstacle to easy conversation and, hence,
communication with them. I feel this obstacle need not be widened
by an artificial title. In practice many students respect my
preference, but most do not. Fortunately most of those whom I see
frequently do so.

I have always been tolerant of the many students who are
uncomfortable calling me by my first name, except of those whom I
know very well, who are uncomfortable in referring to me by my name
when conversing with other students. Those students sometimes slip
when talking to me. I give them a mildly disapproving look and they
recover quickly. I am not trying to be democratic or collegial by
lowering myself to their level. They are quite intelligent. They
are aware that I get paid for what I do (even though I genuinely
enjoy it). That is a distinction which I am unprepared to
relinquish in the name of collegiality, and it is enough.

As I have grown older and thus farther from my students in age,
more have been uncomfortable calling me by my first name. I do feel
that the communications gap has widened. Throughout my career I
have been privileged to have been a friend to many of my students.
This has been greatly helped by the fact that my wife* is a very
well liked chemistry Senior Lecturer here at SFU. She has taught
many more students than I, and most of mine were among those. I
don't really mind being called "doctor" any more, though I find no
source of satisfaction in it. Getting a PhD is a matter of working
hard and having excellent support from one's family. Acquiring the
degree itself was very much like getting a professional licence. On
the other hand I am very proud to be Professor Emeritus, a special
honor for me since I was never a Professor. This honor was bestowed
once before, more than twenty years ago, on another retiring
Associate Professor in our science faculty. It is a collegial award
and, though my family was again important, I feel honored. I think
I don't want my students to change their habits, however.

I think that one ought to be allowed to express a preference in
this matter, and that he should then be tolerant of any respectful
form of address his students his students choose.

Leigh

* Evelyn prefers to be called "Mrs. Palmer" by her students, but a
few students insist upon calling her "Dr. Palmer" or "Sir". The
title "Mrs." is on the nameplate on her door. It is considered to
be an honorable title in our generation and culture.