Re: "Dr." and all that

At 2:56 PM -0600 12/30/00, Jack Uretsky, you wrote about Re: "Dr."
and all that:

and "sir" is always appropriate.

well, I was just a southern boy from the hills when Uncle Sam
decided that he neded my services. It didn't take me LONG, once in
Basic Training, that the term 'sir' is NOT always appropriate. The
usual response from any sergeant would be

"DON'T CALL ME 'SIR'. I *WORK* FOR A LIVING"

This of course refers to the use of 'Sir' as being a matter of law
when addressing any commissioned officer. For some strange reason,
the Marine D.I's DO get called 'sir' also.

I note that when I exchange communications with other physicists
in connection with research or publication matters, the unfailing custom
is to use the title, "Doctor" or "Professor" until a cordial relationship
has been established.

and the research advisor realizes that the student IS ready
to defend his thesis when the advisor is greeted, upon entering the
lab, with

'Hey,you, don't mess with that!!!!.'

britton@ncssm.edu you have forgotten everything
(919) 286-3366 x224 Albert Einstein, 1936