Modern Day Measure

I am wondering if anyone has done or hear of a method of measuring the
earths' circumference with a orbiting satellite moving west to east.Knowing
the sunset time and lat/long of an observer on earth.
Measuring the time the satellite moves thru the dim to dark sky.
Knowing the distance above the earth the height of the observer above sea
level. Do you need to use two satellites?
Are there other variables? Are the variables I mentioned insignificant?
I have wondered if simply algebra will solve this problem(if solvable)or is
a higher math needed!
I have a 24-bitmap of the arrangement,I can send to any person that is
interested in my problem.
Thank you in advance for your input.

* Roger K. Wholly *
* P.O. Box 919, Payson, AZ 85541 *