Fahrenheit's Lower Standard Revisited (was Squeeky Snow)

At 08:37 12/19/00 -0600, Joel Rauber wrote:
/snip/ I'd suggest
that just about any negative temperature (Fahrenheit); and maybe even in the
early single digits can one notice a squeaky snow effect.

Joel Rauber

Doug Craigen
/snip/ I've often heard
squeeky snow but hadn't given it any thought. In fact, it was about
-30 and I noticed the snow squeeked a bit as I went about that day.
/snip/
Doug Craigen

This thread reminded me that in the recent Fahrenheit scale thread my
homework was not quite good enogh, in that I could not assign a recipe
to his lower standard,known to be a mix of salt and snow or ice chips.

Here is what I have for a freezing mixture good for -18degC (0 degF):
2 parts by mass of snow or crushed ice
1 part by mass of common salt NaCl

from Yarwood & Castle, Physical & Math Tables, Macmillan.

Brian

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net> Altus OK
Eureka!