Re: Transfering an Electrical Concept

At 10:51 AM -0600 12/17/00, brian whatcott, you wrote

The maximum power theorem is well known to electrical engineers.
It may be expressed like this:
Maximal power is transfered when the source impedance equals
the characteristic impedance of the output.

At 17:44 12/18/00 -0500, Chuck Britton responded:
/snip/
Using the analogy to the electrical case where P = IV , mechanics has
P = F x v (velocity)

Electrical impedance is V/I so I suggest that mechanical 'impedance'
is F / v = m (a/v).

Chuck Britton

Thanks Chuck.
One reason I imagine that mechanical impedance doesn't show up more
often is that you can't rely on linearity of forces etc., and the
quantities involved are not quite so easily measured.

Sincerely

Brian

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net> Altus OK
Eureka!