Re: Squeeky Snow

Joel Rauber wrote:

Yea, I was talking Fahrenheit and wasn't sure if all of your temps were
quoted in C or not. Now that you mention it. What I'm calling squeaky snow,
might more aptly be described as "crunchy" snow, so maybe there are two
effects going on? Also, being from Georgia I've never tested the

Try treading over the same snow repeatedly. It should go from crunchy
to squeeky, especially if you walk on your heels. You are at the warm
end of the range though.

proposition in stocking feet. What do you folks drink up there?

I don't go for long hikes in stocking feet, but for something like
dropping the garbage out at the lane it hardly seems worth the bother of
putting on boots - I'm back by the time I would have had the boots on.
Your feet don't get particulary cold on a short trip like this even at
-30 or so, that might be an interesting thread too. The number one
drink in Canada is coffee (I believe its Coke in the US) - but we
digress.

I generally quote in C unless stated otherwise. When stating -40 (our
normal winter low here in Winnipeg) it doesn't matter.

Doug Craigen
http://www.dctech.com/physics/about_dc.html