Fluid demonstration

Not too long ago, or so it seems to me, I saw a demonstration for fluid
dynamics mentioned in the literature.

The demonstration had a straw placed vertically in a bowl of water, and
you blew through a horizontal straw across the top of the vertical one.
With soem practice, and lots of lung power, you could get te fluid to
rise in the vertical straw. Knowing how high the fluid rose, you could
calculate the velocity of the air you were blowing across the vertical
straw...

1. Does anyone know the citation for this. I would like it, and I have
a colleage who would like it as well.

2. I need someone to check/comment upon my reasoning: by using
Bernoulli's equation, I get the velocity of the air across the tip of
the straw to be:

v = sqrt(2*density of water*height of water rise in vertical
tube/density of air)

Is that correct?

Thanks,
Peter Schoch