Re: Capilary tubes.

At 10:27 AM -0700 12/15/00, Larry Woolf, you wrote about Re: Capilary tubes.:

This point is discussed in "Life's Matrix: A Biography of Water" by Philip
Ball ( an editor at Nature) on p. 239-240. I'll provide some quotes from
these pages. its pressure
falls to less than zero - less than that of a vacuum! Yet there is nothing
particularly outlandish about the concept of a negative pressure: it is
simply a tension, an outward pull.

One of Giancoli's texts mentioned this example of 'negative
pressure'. I think that MANY of his examples are chosen to appeal to
to an audience beyond the typical engineering/physics major undergrad.

britton@ncssm.edu you have forgotten everything
(919) 286-3366 x224 Albert Einstein, 1936