Re: 18weekvs16weeksemester

You need to be very careful in comparing quarter systems to semester systems

because the Ohio Board of Reagents has made a statement, I believe a
standard school year is now considered to be 30 actual class weeks. This
can be broken into three quarters of 10 class weeks or two semesters of 15
class weeks. Holidays and exam days may be necessary, but they
don't count.

This seems to imply that a year of physics is about the same for two types
of systems.

(While individual institutions may vary) my direct experience was as
follows.

I took beginning physics in a quarter system, 10 class-weeks a quarter, I
teach a year of physics in about 28 class-weeks (like Michael); so two are
roughly the same with the semester system losing by a bit.

Actual situation: the standard lecture portion of the course meets three
hours a week for a total of 84 lecture hours in a year of physics for our
semester system. (Actually, depending on the year, its 82-84 lecture hours.

The standard course at my undergraduate institution met 4 lectures a week.
So the year of physics at our institution had 120 lecture hours. The
quarter system had 3/2 times the physics than the semester version. Or in
others words, my experience is that very roughly one semester of a course is
about equal to 1 quarter of a course.

Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D. Phone/voice-mail:
419-358-3270
Professor of Chemistry & Physics FAX:
419-358-3323
Chairman, Science Department E-Mail