Re: Does Newtonian gravity bend light?

One of the textbooks on my desk says regarding predictions of GR "Gravity
should bend light rays, an effect not predicted by Newtonian mechanics
because light has no mass." Yet
<http://www.theory.caltech.edu/people/patricia/lclens.html> claims that
Newtonian gravity bends light, just less than Einsteinian gravity does.
What gives?

Thanks,
Larry

Interesting. What text is that? I rather think the web site you cite
is correct. I don't recall how Newton conceived of light in terms of
mass, but I think he attributed some to it so he could use momentum
conservation as part of his explanation for reflection and
refraction. I recall that his explanation required that light travel
faster in the denser medium but I don't remember the reasoning behind
that. I believe it is actually relativity that attributes no mass to
light, and the "bending" is due to the curvature of space induced by
the nearby mass.

I am sure that the general relativists on the list will be able to
give much more complete responses.

Hugh
--

Hugh Haskell