Re: weight loss and respiration (was: Mass/Energy Conservation)

People!

Check out: http://www.vernier.com/probes/co2.html and read the manual.

bc

P.s. They have a respiration monitor also. I've not the time to check if
it's to measure metabolism.

Robert A Cohen wrote:

I didn't want to get drawn into this but I made a typo...

On Tue, 12 Dec 2000, Joel Rauber quoted me:

C6 H12 O6 + O6 ---> 6CO2 + 6H2O

Doesn't this mean that all of the oxygen breathed in gets exhaled?
Wouldn't this be a net loss (both for the carbon and the water vapor)?

The equation doesn't balance. I think it should be...

C6 H12 O6 + 6O2 ---> 6CO2 + 6H2O

Sorry about that.

Joel Rauber then writes...

Incoming O2 may be used in other processes as well.

Let's assume that the respiration process given above is not the whole
story. We can measure the ratio of P*rho/T of the air we breath in. Can
someone measure the ratio of P*rho/T of the air we breath out? Any
difference in the ratio will indicate a difference in the average
molecular weight, right?

| Robert Cohen Department of Physics |
| East Stroudsburg University |
| bbq@esu.edu East Stroudsburg, PA 18301 |