Re: weight loss and respiration

John Denker wrote in part:

I breath in O2 and exhale CO2.

That's true as far as it goes, but it's not the whole story.

Precisely one of my points.

If this
happens on a one for one basis than that part of the process is
a net loss
of mass, therefore the act of breathing can't produce a weight gain.

The conclusion is true, but it does not follow from the argument given.

I believe it follows from the premise. I later questioned the premise.

I do have relatives with significant knowledge in medicine and
biochemistry
and posed the question to them. The response is that this isn't a simple
question. There is no one reaction to which you can assign the
incoming O2,
so the above isn't necessarily happening on a one for one basis.

The metabolism of carbohydrates is particularly easy to understand. The
name tells the tale: they are all of the formula C_m (H2O)_n --- so it
takes m molecules of O2 to metabolize them. The result is m molecules of
CO2 and n molecules of water. Virtually all of the CO2 (and perhaps much
of the H2O) is lost by respiration.

<snip>

Trying to figure "weight gain" by simply auditing the weight of inputs and
outputs is a pointless exercise unless you are prepared to do a _really_
meticulous audit. The level of detail being discussed in this thread is
not nearly meticulous enough.

I believe that is the point I was making above.

<snip again>

Or are we trying to conduct a case study in bad experiment
design? Why? Isn't there enough of that already?

My contribution was intended to merely suggest reasons why someone might be
asking these questions. I'm in no way suggesting this as an excercise in a
classroom, high school, college or otherwise; as a case study or design
study. Hence there is no need to respond to the above rhetorical questions.

Joel Rauber
Joel_Rauber@sdstate.edu