Re: Mass/Energy Conservation

At 19:16 10 12 2000 , you wrote:
At 6:17 PM -0700 12/10/00, Jim Green, you wrote about Re:
Mass/Energy Conservation:

>Oops! Mass IS energy -- They are the same thing!

careful here. Beware of reification ! ! ! ! !

I grovel in apology. You are absolutely correct: The "property of mass"
is the same as the "property of energy".

Just because TIME magazine sez it's the 'Equation of the Century', do
we REALLY want our young impressionable students to suspect that this
'E' has as much 'reality' as the m in E = mc^2

If we are good teachers, this is exactly what we should teach.

(smile) and just WHAT does the = sign mean anyway?!?!?!? ;-)

It is not an equality sign; it is an equivalence/identity sign, but I don't
have one on my keyboard. Sorry<g>

Jim

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com