Re: Centrifuge

John Denker wrote:

At 09:36 PM 11/2/00 -0500, Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

Perhaps the physics of the centrifuge cannot be made
meaningful in the first physics course

cut ---

At 11:06 AM 11/3/00 +1100, Brian McInnes wrote:

can someone explain to me where the value of 4E-11 N for the
magnitude of the force came from. My cynical mind does not accept
that it is an experimentally measured value;

Brian's cynicism is right on target. The force number has obviously been
cooked.

What is the physics involved?
(1) Why don't the blood corpuscles settle out when the blood is
sitting in test tube?

They do. As I hinted in previous messages, red blood cells settle out just
fine under 1G conditions; the centrifuge only speeds up the process. The
field that S&F envision (14000 G) will make RBCs settle out real fast!

and probably be pulverized, not necessarily desired.

Such a super centrifuge figures in Arrowsmith. He rejects it and is stuck with
it when he changes jobs, if I remember correctly.

bc