Re: fallacious filtered white noise

On Sat, 9 Dec 2000, Michael Edmiston wrote:

There is an experiment I have students do that is simple to perform, but
gives complicated results. I hang a spring pendulum from an electromagnetic
driver. The driver is run by a sine-wave oscillator, and the students note
the behavior of the spring pendulum when the driver frequency is near the
natural frequency of the spring pendulum. I use the Pasco-scientific
SF-9324 driver with a spring pendulum having m = 10g, k = 0.515, T = 0.767
s, f = 1.304 Hz.

I have done a similar experiment horizontally in the following way: Place
an air track glider at the center of the air track

______ ______
| |
|---- spring ------ [glider] ------ spring ---| Driver
| |
______]_____________________________________________[_____
______]________________Air Track____________________[_____

Then, to get some damping, place two strong flat magnets on either side
of the glider. (Place them symmetrically to maintain balance.) You
will get eddy-current damping. Adjust (fiddle) with the placement of
the magnets so that the damping is moderate. You want a compromise
between the weak damping usually assumed in the analysis and the finite
patience of your students in waiting for transients to die out. I
typically aim for a "half-life" of about 5 to 10 oscillations. That
is, in the unforced case, I adjust the magnets until it takes about 5 ~
10 oscillations for the amplitude to decay to about 1/2 of its original
value.

This seems to work fairly well. There are still significant problems
with the non-sinusoidal driving (as well as the other feedback
problems mentioned.)

Andy Dougherty doughera@lafayette.edu
Dept. of Physics
Lafayette College, Easton PA 18042