Re: Sodaplay: Tacoma Narrows resonator

At 10:36 AM -0500 12/8/00, Chuck Britton wrote in response
to John Denker:

OK, no one (YET) has come CLOSE to convincing me of the PC
(Pedagogically Correct!) position that the Tacoma Narrows Bridge is
not an EXCELLENT example of of a resonant oscillation driven by
vortex shedding. Yes, death grips ARE hard to release but this seems
to be every bit as much a resonance phenomenon as many others
(including the particle resonances).

(but hey, I'm 'just' a HS teacher, who thinks that concepts are important.)

Hey, I'm just a superannuated physics teacher who still cares about
teaching. Earlier I wrote, with regard to just this question:

This should be looked upon from the point of view of the student
on whom this example is inflicted. How can she reconcile this with
the experiment she does in the lab with a VFO and an RLC circuit?
Where's the connection? It is my feeling that this connection,
however tenuous it might be, is *never* made in teaching.

Chuck didn't answer my question. I'm hurt. I also gave an example
of a particle physics resonance which Chuck asked for and there
was no response. Am I being filtered out by your mailer, Chuck?

Leigh