Re: What to "cover"

My 2-cents-worth offers a couple ideas; some under our control (as
scientists) and some not so much under our control. Let me first
mention that with the proper "hurdles" for licensing (i.e. required
courses and experiences) we can see to it that we don't graduate
under-prepared teachers. I think Ohio has done that. The problem at
this point is not a curriculum problem, it is a manpower problem. How
can we get more people to view science teaching as both a rewarding
career as well as a decent way to make a living.

That is the hard question. People with science/math abilities can
chose a lot of well paying and rewarding careers. I think teachers in
general are not recuiting. I know most of my staff actively
discourage their own children from going into teaching beacause of
the high demands (high proficiency scores) with no control of who
walks in the door and comparitive low pay.

Tim O'Donnell
Instructor of Physics and Chemistry
Celina High School
715 East Wayne Street
Celina, Ohio 45822
(419) 586-8300 Ext 1200 or 1201
odonnt@celina.k12.oh.us

"Chance only favors the prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur