Re: transformers

Michael Edmiston's idea of charging capacitors in parallel and then
discharging them in series is also called a "Marx Generator", or a "Marx
Bank", "Marx Capacitor Bank," etc.

Here is a reference:
(from <http://www.home.earthlink.net/~jimlux/hv/marx.htm>)

"A Marx Generator is a clever way of charging a number of capacitors in
parallel, then discharging them in series. Originally described by E. Marx
in 1924, Marx generators are probably the most common way of generating
high voltage impulses for testing when the voltage level required is
higher than available charging supply voltages."

Steven T. Ratliff
Associate Professor of Physics
Northwestern College
3003 Snelling Ave. N.