Re: Watt's definition of horsepower

My understanding (but I have no idea from where) was that the 'horse' in
question was a draft horse (Clydesdale type). It takes a BIG horse to
generate 1 horsepower. I had assumed (or maybe read) that they simply
hooked up such a horse to a rope/pulley and measured how much weight the
horse could lift over a measured distance in a given time. However, a quick
search on the Web and a trip to the ENCARTA site yields:

"Scottish engineer and inventor James Watt established this value for the
horsepower after determining in practical tests that horses could haul coal
at the average rate of 22,000 foot-pounds per minute. He then arbitrarily
raised this figure by a factor of one-half to establish the current value."

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Associate Professor of Physics
Department of Chemistry & Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, IN 46556
219-284-4664
rtarara@saintmarys.edu

FREE Physics Instructional Software
www.saintmarys.edu/~rtarara
Win9.x/ME, WinNT/2000, Win3.x, Dos, Mac, and PowerMac
NEW: OPTICS-2 package now available.
Windows and Mac CD-ROMs now available.