Re: Variac Safety

At 23:48 11/30/00 -0800, Leigh wrote in an aside:
///
A Variac can be made safer to use by connecting it to an isolation
transformer (1:1) which, in turn, is connected to the mains.

Leigh

Recalling that whatever can be assembled incorrectly *will* be
assembled incorrectly sooner or later, I urge intending users of this
most useful device for varying the amplitude of an AC output, to select
the isolated variable transformer variant - available from the Newark
catalog and elsewhere. It carries a premium price.
(I haven't checked if the cost differential is greater than a variable
autotransformer plus isolation transformer - but the safety benefits
are worth your serious consideration)

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net> Altus OK
Eureka!