Variac Safety

NO ONE should use a variac that doesn't have a three wire (grounded)
cord AND outlets that are also 'three prong.

Old, two wire corded variacs are (CAN) be killers.

Having properly installed grounded AND polarized input/output cords
will insure that the Neutral AC wire is common between the input and
output wiring.

I've rescued a few discarded two-wire units and 'upgraded' them to
three-wire cords/outlets.