Re: The "typical" high school physics teacher, ? refreshed

Getting back to thre original question, I recalled a survey of high school
physics teachers done by the AIP. I wrote them about it an received these
replies. I hope they help.

Ken Fox
AP/IB Physics Teacher
Smoky Hill High School
Aurora, CO

Dear Mr. Fox,

Yes, Michael Neuschatz of the AIP has conducted a study of High School
Physics Teachers for the last 14 years (1986-87; 1989-90; 1993; 1997).

You can find the results of the latest study, "Physics in the High
Schools
IV, 1997"
on our website at https://webster.aip.org/forms/statorder.htm
.
There you can view the highlights or download the full report.

If you want a hard copy of the report, please let me know.

Sincerely,

Judith C. Mulvey
American Institute of Physics

Hi Ken,

I've been out of the office the past few days, but I just came across
your
email, and I thought you might also be interested in an article I wrote
for
The Physics Teacher last February, specifically on the backgrounds and
qualifications of hs physics teachers. If you don't have a copy of that
TPT
issue, you can download the article (or the larger final report on our
survey that Judith Mulvey mentioned) from our website at

www.aip.org/statistics/trends/hstrends.htm

Let me know if you have any questions or need anything further.

Michael Neuschatz
Senior Research Associate
Education & Employment Statistics Division
American Institute of Physics